A short guide to the Carlow county town

Carlow Courthouse, ©Nico Kaiser/Flickr

Carlow is located in the south-east of the country, 84 km from the capital, Dublin. Ireland’s second smallest county is County Carlow, though Carlow Town is the 14th biggest urban region in Ireland by population. River Barrow is flowing through the town.

This river shapes the historic borderline between Laois and Carlow: the town was entirely included in County Carlow in 1989. The agreement of Carlow is thousands of years old and predates written history of Irish. Carlow has played a main role in history of Irish, in the 14th century it was the capital of the country. It was and it is the cleanest town in entire Ireland.

Activities

Carlow has numerous facilities as well as canoeing and swimming. It is eminent for its fishing game and coursing. It is known as one of the best place in Europe for hang-gliding.

Hang gliding, ©ninara/Flickr

Travel

Carlow is perfectly situated in the south east of the country, with main roads passing through it. Just about 1 hour drive far from the Rosslare ferry ports, Dublin and Dun Laoghaire. Aer Rianta Dublin is the closest international airport.  Bus Eireann offer efficient services through the county. Carlow town is on the main train line to Dublin is on the town cover the county with links crossways Ireland.

Attractions

  • Brownshill Dolmen is Carlow’s most famous landmarks, located on the Road of Hacketstown.

Brownshill Dolmen, ©snapboot/Flickr

  • Carlow Town Hall is located on the north side of the Haymarket, and was the deal centre for Carlow. An amount of other markets situated around the town, plus the Butter Market and Potato Market. The church architect William Hague designed the Town Hall in 1884.
  • Ducketts Grove is the wreck of the Georgian hose of the Duckett Family, built around 1800s. The Council of the town renovated the walled gardens as a park.
  • Carlow Courthouse is located in Dublin Street. William Vitruvius Morrison designed in 1830 and totally completed in 1834. It was built of granite and gives the feeling of being a temple located on a high platform. On the basement are prisons and dungeons. There is a cannon on the steps, which is from the Crimean War.

Carlow Courthouse, ©Nico Kaiser/Flickr

  • Carlow Castle was built by William Marshall between 1207-1213. Just the wall from west and two towers survive. It situated close to the River Barrow near the centre of the town. In this castle today is organizing lot of urban programs.

Leave a Reply